A MISERABLE NIGHT
About a month ago I was laying in bed, trying to fall asleep. I wasn’t feeling so hot due to some poor decisions I had made that week with my health.
As I laid there, I told Kramer about the things I had eaten. I told him about the two slices of banana bread (which is LOADED with sugar, like real loaded lol) and then about the donuts, and then about the drinks loaded… with more sugar. I hadn’t taken any nutritious foods to work with me that entire week, so therefore I ate whatever was around. I felt sick from all the crap that I had put in my body. If you take the mix of the nasty food, not much sleep, and pushing my body to another limit of exhaustion, I bet you imagine how that night looked. He smiled at me and said, “okay, we gotta figure something out with our health.”
That night was a new turning point for me. I have cared a lot about my health before, but this was different. I was so mad that night because of my poor decisions. I didn’t want to treat my body poorly, the real problem was that I was simply struggling with juggling all of life. Have you ever felt this way? I knew that I was keeping myself from living to the fullest at that moment. I could hardly listen to my husband, I had no energy, and I knew it wasn’t the life I wanted to live.
A CHANGE OF MIND & HEART
That evening I said I’m done. I’m not going to look back in 10 years and be frustrated at where my health got to. I’m taking control now. I began to freak out when I truly thought about the importance of what we put in our bodies, how we sleep, and how I care for my mental state. We can KILL ourselves just by what we do or don’t do with our bodies. It wasn’t just about eating good or looking a certain way, but I was ready to care for myself as a whole. So I did one of my favorites things to do, I asked for some awesome wisdom from one of my really good friends Whitney, and she is a genius about healthy lifestyles.
We talked about what my calorie intake should be, body fat percentage, all based on how much I’m working out and where I want to be. Whitney really helped me to find practical tips on how to make these eating habits come to life, regardless of my season of life. It was nice to talk to a friend who wasn’t telling me to stop being so hard on myself, but she understood how important it is that we care for your bodies in a way that pleases Jesus. By the way, find honest friends that speak the truth to you. They will help you grow! ♥
IM PASSIONATE FOR YOU!
So, why am I sharing all of this with you? I’m not becoming a food blog, but I am learning how to be intentional with my health and I’m so excited about the changes that I have already seen.
So of course, sister, I have to share with you! Usually, I go on a diet or try to completely cut out sugar and I do this, but it’s not easy. Lots of times once I’m off the “diet” I will just go right back or slip even further. Can anyone else relate with me? In some peoples eyes I may be considered “healthy,” but I know that deep down I haven’t kept Jesus first. I sometimes eat cause I feel like it, I eat whatever I want because it just sounds good, and shoot…I deserve it, right? Sometimes I don’t work hard or I cut corners because I’m tired and just don’t feel like putting in the work. Now, does that mindset sound like it’s going to get me anywhere positive in life? Absolutely not. In fact, I’m teaching myself that it’s okay to be lazy and to make decisions based off of emotions and what’s easy. That’s not okay with me, and that’s why this is all changing.
So, I started a path of researching how I was going to care for my body more. Ever since I left my job, my main focus has been me. That’s hard to say. But I am choosing to focus on myself so that I can be so much better for all of those around me. Here are the areas that I have chosen to improve my health in this season. For three months I am practicing these areas to see how I will drastically change and create better habits for my entire life. I hope this can help inspire you to care for the precious body that God so carefully wove together! Join me in this challenge!
4 AREAS OF FOCUS
My Spiritual life
- Why? Did you know that the bible talks A LOT about how the righteous people experience health facts and that stress, anxiety, etc. literally kill you? Go study this topic for yourself! Here are just a few references to get you started ♥ (Pro 15:13, Pro 3, 1 Cor 6:19-20, 1 Tim 4:8, Pro 17:22, Pro 31:17, Pro 16:24, Pro 4:20-22, Pro 9:17).
- Practical Steps – Scripture motivates me more than anything else to see how God will Bless those who care for themselves. So I have started to protect my time with Jesus as if my life depends on it (cause it does). I am also focusing on intentional prayer and scripture meditation throughout the day!
- Why? GUYS. Wow, I just became such a believer of oils. PLEASE go check them out or message me if you have any questions. One of my good friends introduced me to them and I’m amazed at how much it has helped my headaches, energy, and keeping me WELL. God created plants and if we can use the juice from these plants to help improve our lives instead of common medicine or chemicals, I’m all in.
- Practical Steps – Literally, I am obsessed with them. I have all of my oils through Young Living if you want to check them out. I promise it will make your life better 🙂 I am using my oils by diffusing throughout the day, applying them to my body multiple times a day, and even baking with my oils!
- Why? I find that I have so much more energy when I’m active. I love to physically be fit and I don’t ever want my “body” to hold me back from activities. I also believe there is a level of confidence that comes from being active which is good! Stretching and being loose keeps your muscles from getting too tight and helps blood flow!
- Practical Steps – I have set out different times in my day where I am focusing on exercise and then stretching/Yoga. During these times, I focus on scripture, prayer, or I listen to a podcast. I love working out, but I am a strong believer that you should find whatever works for you, just MOVE! In my workouts, I am just trying to be consistent and each week increasing the intensity.
- Why? God created the most perfect foods for us. Food is to give us energy, helps us have a sharp mind, and to rejuvenate our bodies. Food isn’t just to be used for pleasure!
- Practical Steps – I typically only eat badly when I’m not at home. So having a new job where I work from home has personally helped my eating habits already by SO MUCH. My tip is to eat what is natural. Whitney also gave me great advice to substitute desert options instead of cutting it all out. So having greek yogurt with fruit or maybe frozen yogurt instead. I eat about 5 times a day so that my body avoids ever getting to the starvation point. Since I have focused on eating natural things, I don’t crave unhealthy foods. I have been creative of how to switch the “healthy” foods around. My body has exactly what it needs so I’m not starving. I have more energy, I’m sleeping great, headaches are gone, and my skin looks so much better. Plus, I feel great about myself 🙂 Having the right foods on hand will make it so much easier to eat right. Just don’t buy crap!
Sister, choosing to care for yourself is SO worth it. Think if we all lived in a way that was intentional in EVERYTHING we did? If something doesn’t bring value or expand your life, what if you said no and only said yes to the things that did?! Imagine the woman you will become and the amount of influence you can have when you have self-control over yourself.
Now, this isn’t to discourage you for wherever you are. Because the reality is that we can all look at someone who is so much further along than where we want to be. The entire point of this post is to help you take an honest look at where you are at? Where do you need to be? And what steps will you start taking so that you can care for YOU! Because that’s the one thing in life that you have full control over, is YOU, sister!
I pray and hope that this inspires you to care for yourself to the VERY best of your ability. Jesus has so much in store for you, a purpose he has called you to. He equipped you to be strong and disciplined. Take each day at a time and celebrate YOUR success.
I love you – xoxo
I would love for you to head to my Instagram and let me know what healthy changes you are going to make! I’m so passionate about seeing YOU overcome your obstacles. I want to cheer you on in whatever mountain you’re ready to climb! Go live intentionally ♥