The Dreaded Scale
When I was 12 years old I remember stepping onto the scale in my parent’s bathroom and once again I saw the scale say “102.” I was crushed and so embarrassed at how fat I thought I was. Friends often made fun of me in my life because they thought I was fat. It was something I heard and I believed it was the truth. This was extremely discouraging to me so I started to become consumed with how I looked. I began to do whatever it took to get skinner, even if it wasn’t healthy for my body.
This brings tears to my eyes as I write this because I wish I could go back and talk to my little insecure self. I wish I could hold her and tell her how beautiful and special she is and how she isn’t fat, but that she does have a temple that Jesus gave her. I wish I could go back and teach her that it’s such a GOOD thing to care for your body, but to not be consumed by looks or an image. It’s all about stewarding what Jesus gave you the way he intended you to steward it. Not starving yourself, but making healthy and disciplined decisions that you CAN accomplish a healthy lifestyle through the power of Jesus Christ.
My passion is that you and I can live in this beautiful truth of stewarding our bodies the RIGHT way and not the way our culture tells us to.
You’re a Temple
Our bodies are temples that Jesus has entrusted us with. We have the awesome privilege to take care of them! Food was created to give us strength, energy, and nutrition.
Jesus DIDN’T provide food so that we could treat our stomach or food like a god. I know that may seem crazy, but think about it. Lots of times we give into eating crap just because our stomach wants it. That’s us teaching ourselves to say yes to what we want rather than what we need. Jesus alone satisfies, even in the category of food. He truly satisfies every need♥
Don’t get me wrong, I think its okay to enjoy some sweet or salty food. But, what are you being controlled by? The Spirit or your flesh? That’s the true thing that we want to chase after. The more we learn to practice this spirit of discipline and obedience, the more we become like Jesus. This will lead us to desire the right things for our bodies on a daily basis!
If we take care of our bodies the right way, we will have more energy to do the things God has called us to do during the different seasons of life. I love working, working out, spending time with people, cleaning houses, being adventurous and all sorts of things. I couldn’t serve and do all the activities I enjoy if my health wasn’t in the condition it’s in! It’s not about a perfect diet, but about caring for your body through sleep, water, food, exercise, and caring for your soul!
Our Takeaway (What I wanted to tell my little self, but now I share with YOU)
- It’s important to take care of the body Jesus GIFTED you♥
- You have the opportunity to grow in holiness when you practice discipline and self-control
- Exercise, its fun and a good challenge to push yourself physically
- Eat what TRULY fuels your body (diets aren’t bad, but eating natural things and drinking water will bring fuel to your body rather than suck the fuel out of you!)
- Jesus thinks you’re beautiful and he wants you to feel beautiful in your own skin. Own how you look and feel about yourself. Be confident with how you look because you are stewarding what Jesus gave you!
- He wants to trust you with much, so learn to be trusted with what you have which is yourself.
- Taking care of yourself brings motivation and inspiration to those around you!
- Learn to workout hard for Jesus (pray before your workouts and ask for the right motives)
- Speak truth over your health
- Find people who will keep you accountable and encourage you in the right direction with your health! (Here are some resources that have helped me out TONS and I love these women). They both have a passion for Jesus and seeing women live out their calling. It would be a shame if you don’t check them out 🙂 Jordan Dooley & Cambria Joy
You are strong and can accomplish anything when you set your mind and a plan to it! Join me in being intentional with my health and being confident in stewarding what Jesus gave me♥
So much love and I am CHEERING you on, friend!!
Love it? Share it!